Monday 7 September 2009

For Hire - Escamillo Costume (BYO bull and senorita)


Sketch by Rubens (if he had hired me in his studio)

Just like an Old Master painter I prefer to live off the hard work of others – so without dwelling on the fact that this snippet of news was brought to my attention by a post on Intermezzo's blog I'll carry on as if I'd just discovered this WNO news article from Wales Online myself.

It seems that if you're in the mood to show up at work dressed as Don Giovanni or, if it's a drizzly January Monday morning, as Il Commendatore, you can pop along to WNO's costume department (situated a handy leap from a train window as you leave Cardiff Central) and hire yourself a new persona for the day.

I'm not sure if there'll be much of a call for Dennis O’Neill's threads from Verdi’s Un Ballo in Maschera among the basketball playing fraternity of Wrexham, but luckily, as height isn't a common gift among Welshmen born before 1978, I wouldn't be surprised to see an explosion of vocal duelling between Rodolfos and Alfredos in back street saloons throughout the length and breadth of Europe's answer to the Amazon rainforest (minus the heat of course).

Luckily I am no longer the drunken youth of my drunken youth who would have hired out a number and tramped around the pubs and clubs of Cardiff terrorising damsels into distress with my Mick Jagger impersonation – but now the thought has entered my head I wonder if there's a dress code at the WMC?

No comments:

Post a Comment